Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Non-Reader reading three books at the same time!

After a long summer of laziness, the Fall brings me into three different Group settings, all of which we are doing some kind of book study. All of which are in relation to the Bible or being more like Jesus.
All of them are studies that will take place in future weeks and/or months. 
I've started my first book, "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess," by Jen Hatmaker. The author wrote this book as she experimented with losing the excess in her life in the following categories: Food, Clothing, Possessions, Media, Waste, Spending, & Stress." Each category for one month. 
I will start off by saying, she is a Saint! For her first month, she picked only 7 foods to eat for a whole month.....none of which with spices or anything of the like! She did very well! I, on the other hand..... Well, this is a study we are doing with a Mom's group. We have a blog that we are writing on to keep each other motivated. I am on Day 5 of the month of the Food month and here are my entries proving my failure on decreasing the excess of food:

This one is in response to our fearless leader, Megan's, initial blog on the experiment:

"GOOOOD MORNING!!!"....typing doesn't express sarcasm.... {raspberries}....
So, I'll start off by saying that one of my first thoughts was ALSO, "ooooooh, I can lose weight doing this!" THAT just goes to show that this was going to start out as an epic failure for me....and so... I am starting off with baby steps...today...because, this weekend was an awful example of EXCESS of food in my life. My list for my 7 foods are as follows:
Chicken - Beef - Cheese - Eggs - Apples - Lettuce - Coffee (yes, coffee - no one would like me, and I mean NO ONE, if I had to cut the coffee...I'm doing this for unselfish reasons, I promise). :)
Friday started off well. I only ate these foods....however, I did not steer away from spices...so, it's a modified "7" as I use these items as a base. Saturday, however, Day 2, I ate funnel cake....NOT on the menu. Sunday was my mom's birthday. We celebrated by going to the Movie Tavern and Olive Garden. EPIC FAIL! Popcorn, Pasta, and Strawberry Shortcake....none of which are on the menu. 
Today is Monday. I hate Monday. But, I need to regroup and get back to trying this over again. I ate APPLEbutter on a spoon for breakfast. I plan to eat EGGS with CHEESE for lunch....and I'm thawing CHICKEN breasts for dinner. So, I'm kind of on the right track for today. Stay tuned. 
I will, also, be cleaning out the cupboards and donating anything we don't eat. 
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's posts! 

p.s. - As I started off on this adventure, I was a non-reader.... I'm already done the second chapter about clothes! I'll consider this my success for the first 4 days...ha.


After another response....later the same day (yesterday, to be exact)....

I think giving up something is certainly a great variation of this. It may be what I decide to do since I failed miserably yet again today....
Admittedly, soon after planning on cheesy eggs for lunch (I even put this in writing in a blog - see above) ....I decided to reheat my leftover spaghetti from last night for lunch.... I was thawing chicken breasts for dinner....and decided I was going to make buttermilk chicken....which is very time consuming. The TWO chicken breasts I was thawing is not nearly enough to take the time to make these...so I pulled out more chicken breasts to thaw and will make it...tomorrow. PIZZA it is tonight! Ding goes my oven - preheating complete!


So...needless to say, I struggle with food...well, no food.....I love food. The end. 

The other books I'll be reading are: "Fully Devoted: living each day in Jesus' name" by John Ortberg.....and "Ester: It's tough being a woman" by Beth Moore. 

I maybe should have started off by saying that I never could sit and read a book well...with full comprehension....because I have the attention span of a fruit fly. BUT, I read two of the chapters of "7" in two days (30 days of her experiment each) and had a hard time putting the book down. I am also actually LOOKING FORWARD to starting up on the other books! So maybe I'm failing with the food experiment, but my success is coming in reading.....and writing again. I used to write a lot...haven't for a while. But this has all inspired me to start a blog..... Happy reading! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment