Friday, October 19, 2012

7: Clothing experiment

My Mom's Group has been doing a book study titled: "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess" which goes through the life of the author who believed "de-cluttering" in 7 areas of life would allow us to live more like Jesus. The first month was FOOD. The author, Jen Hatmaker, picked only 7 food items and ate only those for a whole month. Our group started off with the food experiment, as well. Mostly all of us at least tried the experiment, some of us did better than others (I'm one who failed miserably! :( )  Fat won.

This month's experiment (starting today) is CLOTHES. We are to pick 7 clothing items and wear only those for a whole month. As sad as I feel about this, being a clothes lover...particularly in the Fall season...I'm also looking forward to it. This little picture explains me all to well:
This is ridiculous! 
I have SO many clothes....not all of which fit me...as I have a constant struggle with weight.... but, nonetheless, a lot of clothes. Every day I go through the next few days inmy head planning what I'll wear. It changes on a daily basis. The more I think about this, the crazier I feel. There are so many more important things in life to worry about than what I'll be wearing. Don't get me wrong, I always want to look nice and I'll probably always love fashion and clothes...but making it my main focus doesn't feel RIGHT. My main focus should be Jesus and my family. 
And so starts the Clothes experiment. I have chosen 7 clothing items to wear for the next month. I have decided scarves, jewelry and coats do not count, as they are more an accessory than an actual clothing item. I'm also going to attempt to only wear two pairs of shoes - my gray moccasins and my brown boots. I have also tried to limit my wardrobe to black and grey (except for a blue sweatshirt), at the risk of looking like a total bore, but feel it will be easier to mix up the items to make different complete outfits. Here's what I've chosen: 1 pair of jeans, 1 grey tunic, 1 black tunic, 1 pair of yoga pants, 1 black and grey long sleeved T, 1 grey cardigan, 1 sweatshirt.  My friend Renee, also doing this experiment, did a photo similar to this...stole her idea. Thanks, Renee!
At the end of this month long experiment, I'm hoping to have more of an appreciation for everything that I have and will give some things away to those who actually need it. I do WANT to give stuff away...but I haven't DONE it yet. I'm hoping this experiment 1st: brings me closer to living like Jesus and 2nd: convicts me to give a lot of it away. 

Stay tuned for updates and I'll try to do pictures, too. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment